FAer – QLD Gov’t

Home Assist Secure: The Home Assist Secure program aims to remove some of the practical housing-related difficulties experienced by FAers whose disability provides challenges but wish to remain living in their home.

The service provides free information and referrals about home maintenance, falls prevention, repairs and modifications and home security. Subsidised assistance for minor home maintenance, repairs and modifications which relate to health, safety and security is also available.

For more information, click here.

Companion Card: A Companion Card makes going to events like football games, festivals, concerts and movies more affordable for FAers who rely on help from someone else most (or all) of the time.

Having a Companion Card means you receive 2 tickets for the price of 1 when attending events or activities at participating venues. Simply visit a participating business, show your card when you buy your ticket and you will receive a second ‘companion’ ticket, at no charge, for your companion or carer. This ticket is also exempt from booking fees and the cost of the ticket is covered by the business.

The Companion Card is valid on public transport too.

The card is issued in the name of the FAer and is valid for 5 years. It gives cardholders freedom to go to different places with different people. The cardholder’s companion may be a partner, family member, friend, volunteer or paid carer assistant. There is an application form to fill and you’ll need your condition and the extent of your disability verified by your GP.

For more information, click here.

Disability Parking Permit

Australia now has one disability parking permit that is recognised in all states and territories—the Australian Disability Parking Permit. It’s managed and issued in Queensland by the Department of Transport and Main Roads. Currently permits are issued with 5-year validity.

If you are a Queensland resident you are eligible for a permit if your FA severely restricts your ability to walk or it you’re unable to walk and always require the use of a wheelchair. There is an application form to fill and a fee to pay and you’ll need your condition and the extent of your disability verified by your GP.

For more information, click here.

Taxi subsidy: The Taxi Subsidy Scheme subsidises taxi travel for people with severe disabilities. Eligibility criteria apply but include being wheelchair-dependent or permanently dependent on a walking aid.

Half of the total taxi fare is subsidised (up to a maximum of $25 per trip, as at Oct 2012). There is an application form to fill and you’ll need your condition and the extent of your disability verified by your GP.

For more information, click here.

Translink Access Pass: A TransLink access pass is available to people that can travel independently on TransLink services but who have been assessed by a qualified health care professional as being unable to independently use the go card ticketing system. For instance, someone wheelchair-bound who has limited fine hand movement

For an annual fee, the access pass allows unlimited travel on all TransLink services (except Airtrain) for one year. There is an application form to fill and you’ll need your condition and the extent of your disability verified by your GP.

For more information, click here.

Vehicle Options Subsidy Scheme:

Many FAers require vehicle modifications, whether to the vehicle they drive or to the vehicle that a carer transports them in. Before any modifications are undertaken it’s advisable to talk first with an occupational therapist who can assess the need to be addressed and recommend an efficient and safe solution, and often make a referral if work is needed.

The Queensland Government has introduced the Vehicle Options Subsidy Scheme (VOSS) to help eligible people have access to a modified vehicle.

The scheme is available for people wanting to drive a modified vehicle or be a passenger in a modified vehicle, which is driven by a family member or carer.

There are specific eligibility criteria and anyone interested in the scheme will need to contact their local Disability and Community Care Services service centre.

The VOSS provides financial support for:

  • a detailed assessment of vehicle modification requirements with a recommendation (prescription) for the best solution
  • the cost of vehicle modifications, the purchase of an already modified vehicle or a vehicle to be modified specifically to match identified needs
  • lessons to learn to drive the modified car.

Successful applicants will need to pay the gap between the subsidy and the full cost of the modifications or purchase price of a vehicle.

For more information, click here.

Driving Licence: It’s perfectly legal for an FAer to drive so long as it’s safe for them to do so. However, there are a number of FA symptoms which will become more pronounced as the condition progresses so it’s essential (and legally required) that an FAer notify the Department of their diagnosis so their suitability to hold a licence can be periodically assessed.

For more information, click here.

Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme: Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme (MASS) provides access to subsidy funding for the provision of MASS endorsed aids and equipment to eligible Queensland residents with permanent and stabilised conditions or disabilities.

Aids and equipment are subsidy funded either on a permanent loan basis, private ownership or through the purchase of consumables.  MASS provides subsidy funding assistance towards:

  • communication aids
  • continence aids
  • daily living aids
  • medical grade footwear
  • mobility aids
  • orthoses

… and more. For more information, click here.

If you’re aware of other state government services that QLD FAers should be aware of, please get in touch (via the email address at the bottom of the screen) and I’ll aim to add them to this list.